5 Things to do when you're down in the dumps
Hello friends! Sorry it has been a while:)
There have been many times in college where I found myself in a depressed slump, and it took me a while to understand what I needed to do to help myself get out of them. Therapy once a week was great, and the Lexapro obviously didn't hurt, but I knew I could not count on those two things for the rest of my life. So, I decided to write about the 5 best things that helped me when I was feeling my worst. Unfortunately, napping is NOT on the list. It is one of my favorite things EVER and I am quite skilled at it (ask my roommates), but it is not very helpful.
NUMBER 1. Exercise- but in a fun way. Without volleyball, I hated the idea of just going to the gym and running on a treadmill for an hour... so I decided to test out boxing. It is such a fun way to get those endorphins flowing, and it also helps relieve any anger or stress you might be feeling. Punching a bag as hard as possible can be very satisfying.
NUMBER 2. Take your scooter for a ride. Sorry friends this probably pertains to maybe 1% of you but it has to be on my list. Driving fast on my scooter to the beach, Sidecar donuts, coffee shop, etc. is an adrenaline rush that can help spike your mood, even if it's just for a little. If you ever want a ride hit me up!
NUMBER 3. Blast some music. Don't become one of those people that turns on their sad playlist and wallows in their bad mood... put on some Louis the Child or Calvin Harris (my favs) at full volume and imagine yourself at some crazy concert with your best friends.
NUMBER 4. Have one thing to look forward to each day. I am HUGE on lists, so every day I write everything down that I have to and want to do that day. Every Sunday I look forward to the Brentwood farmer's market, or on Tuesday I may pencil in a scooter ride down to Alfred's (try the iced chai with almond milk:) Feeling excited about life can sometimes be one of the first things to disappear when you're feeling depressed, so prioritize trying to get that feeling back!
aaaaaand NUMBER 5. Buy yourself flowers. It is so 100 years ago that men have to buy us flowers... Take Nicolina's advice and buy yourself flowers once a week. They are beautiful, smell nice, and can cause an immediate smile on one's face when you see them. My favorites are Daisys or tulips but go for whatever your heart desires.
P.S. A special number 6 is watch TikToks for hours and either laugh at the most ridiculous things or get to see the cutest puppy videos ever... both big mood changers.
There have been many times in college where I found myself in a depressed slump, and it took me a while to understand what I needed to do to help myself get out of them. Therapy once a week was great, and the Lexapro obviously didn't hurt, but I knew I could not count on those two things for the rest of my life. So, I decided to write about the 5 best things that helped me when I was feeling my worst. Unfortunately, napping is NOT on the list. It is one of my favorite things EVER and I am quite skilled at it (ask my roommates), but it is not very helpful.
NUMBER 1. Exercise- but in a fun way. Without volleyball, I hated the idea of just going to the gym and running on a treadmill for an hour... so I decided to test out boxing. It is such a fun way to get those endorphins flowing, and it also helps relieve any anger or stress you might be feeling. Punching a bag as hard as possible can be very satisfying.
NUMBER 2. Take your scooter for a ride. Sorry friends this probably pertains to maybe 1% of you but it has to be on my list. Driving fast on my scooter to the beach, Sidecar donuts, coffee shop, etc. is an adrenaline rush that can help spike your mood, even if it's just for a little. If you ever want a ride hit me up!
NUMBER 3. Blast some music. Don't become one of those people that turns on their sad playlist and wallows in their bad mood... put on some Louis the Child or Calvin Harris (my favs) at full volume and imagine yourself at some crazy concert with your best friends.
NUMBER 4. Have one thing to look forward to each day. I am HUGE on lists, so every day I write everything down that I have to and want to do that day. Every Sunday I look forward to the Brentwood farmer's market, or on Tuesday I may pencil in a scooter ride down to Alfred's (try the iced chai with almond milk:) Feeling excited about life can sometimes be one of the first things to disappear when you're feeling depressed, so prioritize trying to get that feeling back!
aaaaaand NUMBER 5. Buy yourself flowers. It is so 100 years ago that men have to buy us flowers... Take Nicolina's advice and buy yourself flowers once a week. They are beautiful, smell nice, and can cause an immediate smile on one's face when you see them. My favorites are Daisys or tulips but go for whatever your heart desires.
P.S. A special number 6 is watch TikToks for hours and either laugh at the most ridiculous things or get to see the cutest puppy videos ever... both big mood changers.
you are amazing!! so inspired by you :)
ReplyDelete